December 17 2020
Fielmann AG acquired an 80% stake in Óptica del Penedés (Óptica Universitaria)
Translink Corporate Finance advised Fielmann, a German Stock-listed family business leading producer and marketer of prescription eyeglasses, specialty glasses, sunglasses, contact lenses, and optical supplies designer, on the acquisition of 80% of Óptica del Penedés (Óptica Universitaria), the third largest optical retail chain in Spain. With about 400.000 glasses sold and more than 100m EUR in sales (2019) Óptica Universitaria is the third largest retail chain in Continental Europe’s fourth-largest optical market. The family business currently operates 80 stores with more than 1.000 employees in Spain. In times of the coronavirus pandemic, the company outperformed its competition and gained additional market share.
With Óptica Universitaria Fielmann acquires one of the leading optical businesses in Spain. Through synergies within the Fielmann Group, Fielmann will further accelerate the growth of Óptica Universitaria in its long-term plan to sell more than 800.000 glasses and generate sales of more than 250m EUR on a yearly basis.
Manuel Caballero and Rufo Gomez, founders of Óptica Universitaria, retain a 20% equity stake and remain involved in the business.
About Fielmann AG
As a stock-listed family business Fielmann operates its own design studios, production facilities and about 900 stores across 15 European countries. With its omnichannel business model, the company serves more than 25 million customers. Its main products are eyewear, contact lenses and hearing aids. Fielmann owes its success to its more than 22.000 employees who embody the company’s customer-centric philosophy. In 2019, Fielmann sold 8,3m glasses, generated external sales (incl. VAT) of 1,76bn EUR and a pre-tax profit of 253,8m EUR.
About Óptica Universitaria
Founded in 1992, Óptica Universitaria achieved a strong market position thanks to a clear focus on the client and an offer of best brands at the best prices. The family business soon became one of the leading 3 chains in Spain and today operates 80 shops in Alicante, Barcelona, Castellón, Girona, Lleida, Madrid, Murcia, the Balearic Islands, Tarragona, Valencia and Zaragoza.
About Translink in Germany
Translink Corporate Finance GmbH & Co. KG with its offices in Frankfurt and Bremen covers Translink’s business in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. It is composed of seasoned finance and M&A professionals who have in-depth experience in a variety of sectors and disciplines.
About Translink in Spain
WindCorp Translink with its offices in Barcelona covers Translink’s business in Spain. Founded in 1989, WindCorp Translink provides financial services, including M&A processes as well as in financial restructuring and independent company valuations, to both national and international companies either listed or in the midmarket segment.
Contact our Team Members who lead this transaction:
Press OfficeCristina Fagioli
T. +39 02 94555600
- “I’m very glad about this win-win strategic cooperation with Kiwa. BCC will further enrich its competitiveness in the certification business and enter into the lab testing field as new growing points. Meanwhile, BCC provides a solid foundation for Kiwa to expand into the China and Asia Pacific market. We also thank Translink CF for introducing such a high quality strategic partner to BCC. Even though Translink is advisor for the buy side, they acted fairly and were very experienced and managed professionally throughout the whole process.
Chairman of BCC Inc
- "The Translink team executed the entire transaction process. I can warmly recommend them for any Corporate Finance-assignments"
Chairman of the Board, Anneli Koivunen,
- "Translink’s advisory ensured successful sales process completion with the terms that satisfied all the owners."
CEO and founder, Tomi Pulkki,
- "Translink Peakstone’s thoughtful guidance and dedication throughout the entire process were critical to achieving a very successful outcome that met all of our transaction objectives."
CEO, Mike Gibney,
- "Translink is a determined advisor. The outcome of the transaction was in line with our expectations. I believe the transaction will ensure Amomatic even better chances for continuous growth and development"
Former Chairman of the Board,
Olavi Ruokonen, Amomatic Oy
- Translink Corporate Finance announces the merger of Finnish Visy and Swedish Sensebit.
- Translink advises the Villmann Group on the sale of FWN, WBA and FWB to INVEHO, a portfolio company of the French Ermewa Group.
- Translink International AG announces the entry of Maarten de Boer as Partner within its Dutch firm - Translink Benelux B.V. .